Position: Medical Communications Designer
As a Medical Communications Designer, your focus is the visual organization of images, graphic elements, and copy in a way that is beautiful and clear for both digital and print deliverables.
You are an insatiable visual problem-solver and a life-long learner who takes pride in craftsmanship. You have the work ethic and resourcefulness to work independently and efficiently. You thrive in a collaborative studio team atmosphere and communicate effectively with coworkers in an interdisciplinary team.
(1) Create designs and layouts to the satisfaction of the Art/Animation Director, working from provided direction/previsualization and scientific content.
- Static (print and digital):
- Collaborate with the Art Director to create layouts for scientific/medical illustrations, brochures, booth murals, other marketing material, etc. (Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects)
- Create 2D illustrations or illustrated elements (primarily in Illustrator)
- Collaborate with the Art/Animation Director to create motion graphics including typography, dynamic infographics, micro-interaction animations, etc for animations and interactive media
- Conduct visual research
- Create concept art, sketches, thumbnails, and other previsualization
- Propose creative solutions that fulfill the requirements of the creative brief
- Provide accurate time estimation of how long tasks may take; communicate early and in a timely fashion if there is a conflict that would take the project off brief or schedule
Expected Results Accurate, beautiful, engaging visuals that are on brief, on budget, on schedule, and further the creative vision of the studio.
(2) Support departmental and studio initiatives.
- Identify workflow challenges and propose solutions to the Head of the Art & Design department. Solutions can include Wiki articles, improvements to templates and procedures, design and execution of in-house training, etc.
- Participate in cross-department and studio initiatives
- Keep abreast of trends and innovation in design and visual communications, film, media, software, etc. in order to further the studio's creative vision
Expected Results Uphold and improve studio standards for the creative process to ensure consistently high-quality work that is on brief, on time, and on budget.
(3) Maintain quality of work
- Check the accuracy of your work by researching relevant literature, basing your work on data, and proofing your work before you submit it for review, approval, or delivery
- Preparation of print-ready and/or packaged files before delivery
Expected Results Accurate, beautiful, engaging visuals that further the studio’s reputation as a trusted leader in science visualization.
(4) Be a part of the AXS Team.
- Contribute to a cooperative, creative environment in the studio by communicating well with coworkers and managers
- Develop a trusted relationship with your coworkers
- General office duties as required including archiving and doing your part to keep common areas and your work area tidy and clean
Expected Results A long-standing, collaborative, rewarding, and mutually-respectful working relationship.
- Reports to the Head of Art & Design
- Uses studio-approved policies, procedures, and workflow
- Works with Art/Animation Directors, and Account and Project Managers
- Decision-making: Medical Communication Designers require the ability to size up technical and artistic requirements quickly and make timely, sound decisions on design, visual appeal, and accuracy needed to complete a task.
Mandatory job qualifications:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Post-graduate degree (MSc) in Biomedical Communications, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of experience working in a biomedical communications company or studio
- Animation skills for motion graphics in Adobe After Effects
- Proficiency in creating vector graphics and layouts in Adobe Illustrator
- Proficiency in Illustrator, Photoshop, and/or Procreate for sketching, basic image editing
The following skills are not required but are considered a major asset. Please let us know if you have:
- Experience with (and interest in) using expressions in After Effects
- Working knowledge of InDesign
- Experience designing for print (collateral and large-scale graphics), including an understanding of print specifications and quality checking of proofs
- Interest in UX/UI design
- Basic 3D skills (eg, Maya, Cinema4D, Blender) to aid in previsualization
- Past experience and/or interest in art direction
- Commensurate with experience
- Excellent group benefits
- 2 weeks paid vacation, negotiable with experience
ABOUT AXS | Specializing in visual science communication, AXS Studio creates award-winning animations and interactive applications for pharma and healthcare. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a tight-knit team dedicated to creating beautiful, meaningful works of art that further the life sciences. axs3d.com